Definition of FASHIONISTA
: a designer, promoter, or follower of the latest fashions
I am a self proclaimed fashionista. I will be completely transparent...I probably shop too much (if that's possible), have way too many clothes, and have piles of InStyle magazines stashed around my house...consequently none of these things necessarily make you a fashionista. So what makes a person a fashionista besides the formal definition above? A fashionista is someone who ROCKS THEIR OWN STYLE. But be prepared for some kick back. I've been questioned a time or two about whether or not that was a necklace I was wearing or Betty Rubble costume jewelry, or if a black dress with a brown scarf really "worked". When you are a self proclaimed fashionista you have to be prepared for the self proclaimed "Fashion Police" to arrive on occassion.
You don't have to be a designer for Chanel or a promoter of Gucci to be a fashionista. Everyday you look into your closet and design with your wardrobe what you will look like that day. This in turn promotes a certain style to the world and maybe, just maybe, grabs someone's attention and you start a new trend...fashionista AND trendsetter...impressive.
I'm no Rebecca Bloomburg (Confessions of a Shopaholic) or Andy Sachs (The Devil Wears Prada).I haven't joined a Shoppers Anonymous group and I definitely don't work for Miranda Preistly at Runway...but even if you think you might be a fashionista...you should check them out on your next movie night :)
So all definitions aside....here are a few "tips" that I've put together and my next blog post will be a second installment of my "HOW TO" series which outlines how to mix and match...basically making multiple outfits from just a few articles of clothing. This can be especially helpful when you are packing for a summer vacay..so stay posted :)
1. Charles Gordy reminds us that, "A smile is an inexpensive way to change your looks." So smile- it looks good and doesn't cost a thing :)
2. Wear heels because they make every pair of legs look longer.
3. Wear flats because they are comfortable and give your bunions a break :)
4. Buy clothes that fit. Too small is scary and too big means your hiding.
8. Don't be afraid to buy from a second hand store. I bought a Nanette Lepore cardigan at a consignment shop the other day. It's not about where it's been, it's about where you can take it :)
9. Don't be afraid to buy from Nordstroms (etc.)...you'll never regret quality...that never goes out of style.
10. Attempt to make your looks effortless, meaning it never looks like you tried too hard. It's you.
11.Share clothes with responsible friends- it could double your wardrobe :)
12. Or if sharing hasn't gone well in the past, hold a clothes swap. One person's trash is another person's treasure!
13. Bad hair can = bad days. Don't skip on the hair...it's worth the money you may loose in the wardrobe budget.
14. Wear a cami under everything...it will change your life.
15. Accessorize- an inexpensive necklace, earrings, scarf or hat can change the outfit in an instant.
16. Own more tops than bottoms. People will notice your top half more than your bottom half.
17. Rock your own style. If you like it...WEAR IT!