get carey-ed away

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Dumper or Dumpee...that is the question.

So yesterday, while traveling to Erie, PA and back with 3 of my best friends, we had 12 hours to cover every topic imaginable...and that we did. And while I truly love them each the same, I couldn't have picked 3 more different, or so I thought, people to put in the car with me.  Here's a lil' piece of each of their stories...and the "thing" I discovered they all had in common :)


Me, Luz, Michelle & Rachel

Michelle is homegrown...in Lancaster that is.  She married her "Italian Stallion"...Johnny, which meant she sacrificed and went from being a BENDER to the more exotic LOCICERO the day she said " I DO".  They meet at  a James Madison University football tailgating party and she was smitten with his luscious locks (10 inches of which were later donated to Locks of Love) and his skinny legs...both attributes she today prays her future children will inherit.  He charmingly gave her his number while attempting to drive away the classic over zealous, drunk fraternity brother that was seemingly also interested in Michelle...knowing his rescue efforts might score him a date. And that it did...a romantic one...a trip to the theater to see SAW II...LOL!

Luz, was born in Puerto Rico...her beautiful accent still fastens itself to every English word.  She went from being a Rivera to a Garcia after dating her brother's best friend Onel for many years.  We found out that their long term relationship that eventually lead to marriage did not come without some break-ups, fights, and the ultimate deal sealer...the transitional, psycho significant other that drives you back to one another, which they both had simultaneously at one point :)  Luz went to Penn State, with Onel eventually following her to Happy Valley, not as a student, but to work and live there and definitely would agree to it being four really FUN years :)  And today they are amazing parents to their equally amazing mini-me's Janice and Onelito (little Onel). 

Rachel, who is from the wild west...Nebraska, was the only single girl in the car last night, which is always fun, because what friend doesn't like being the live version of eharmony and playing matchmaker. She is still looking for her "fish" in the great big sea, that may not be the best analogy...but we know that she will find him because she is a true "catch" with a heart of gold and a background in Kitchen Management...this makes her absolute future "wifey for lifey" material :)  Although after hearing a few of her stories, I became more cautious of my speed...because with Rachel in the car our chances of being pulled over increased greatly once we found out she has been a law enforcement "magnet" once or twice in her life...and I'm not referring to her bad driving record...but what I am referring to is her ability to get the "sirens roaring" of a few police officers in the past. (I'm trusting you are picking up what I'm laying down :)

So after many laughs and stories of first loves, what we thought were real loves and then of course true loves I popped the ultimate question.  Are you a DUMPER or a DUMPEE?  I think this would make for a most interesting case study.  What about you?  Did you do the dumping or were you the one to always get dumped?  Is there a pattern to this?  Does it depend on your personality?  Why did you tend to dump...and why did you always get dumped?  So a poll was taken while cruising down the turnpike and it turned out to be a 3 to 1 ratio.  Three DUMPERS to one DUMPEE.  And as different as I thought my three friends were...I came to find out that they all had this one thing in common...they were all DUMPERS.  I was the only lonely DUMPEE.

It never failed...of the few boyfriends I had before Reagan, who I married...I always got dumped.  When I loved...I loved big.  Maybe I was too naive to see my destructive behavior...but I really don't think I followed in the footsteps of Andy Anderson (the character in HOW TO LOSE A GUY IN 10 DAYS). I never brought them love ferns, or matching shirts...I mean I'll admit to making a a corny homemade card or two (maybe this was my downfall) ...but why? 

Why was I always the DUMPEE?  Sometimes I got dumped because there was a better "prospect" on the horizon, and one time I was even told I was too "good"...like he was at least honest and said he was looking to travel down a more unwholesome road and just knew I wouldn't be up for the ride.  Respectable in some twisted way I suppose?  And then there was Reagan, who of course I ended up winning back and marrying, but not with out being dumped at least once for maybe not another girl (or at least one he was willing to admit to) but to soccer...that might have been even worse...LOL :)  Either way at the end of my relationships, being the dumpee I was, I should have wised up and taken stock out in tissues...because for a few days after a heart to heart with my boyfriend turned DUMPER, I'd stow away in my teal colored bedroom, and shed a few tears while listening to FIREHOUSE and torturing myself with past memories.  But I'd always get back up again after giving a self diagnosis of being a hopeless romantic...committed, loyal and a believer in long love ;)

So understandably I had questions for my DUMPER friends.  Why did you always dump? Well I came to find out it was usually because they got annoyed with the them, found out something disturbing through the "grapevine" about the guy...or sometimes it was because they were getting the "vibe" that a break-up was coming down the pike and so they decided to do it first! Genius! Why didn't I ever think of this?  Because I could never see it coming.  I had those darn "rose colored" glasses on. Idiot...lol. Being the dumper kept them in control, protected their hearts, and kept them from wasting their time...based on the fact that they saw the relationship was going no where.  Interesting. 

I'm not sure that we came to any great discoveries or conclusions...and a case study was most definitely not completed based only on the experiences of 4 gals...but the infamous question did lead to a lot of great laughs, some never before heard stories, and overall a gratefulness for all the people that we have each crossed paths with, some just making a small imprint into our hearts and others who have stolen them forever.  Relationships are truly what makes the world go round...they define life's most tragic and most wonderful moments and in efforts to keep this blog posting "light"...we know this all to be true because in the words of Justin Beiber...everyone needs "somebody to love" :)

No comments:

Post a Comment