get carey-ed away

Sunday, October 30, 2011

How To Series...Creating a Cozy Bedroom

So...I'm taking a quick break from blogging an actual story and writing another post in the "How to Series"...and what better room to "cozy" up going into the cold winter months than your bedroom. Of course everyone has a different budget, space, and style to work with and all of those must be taken into consideration. So while I use my personal space as an example...my intent is for you to use the tips to "cozy up" and reinvent your bedroom.
the pictures are a little dark, they were all taken late night...when I had time to do it :)
As I've mentioned before I am not living in my dream house, yet...but I'm a firm believer that you can make any house a home by using your own personal touch to make it a comfortable place to live.  At the moment our bedroom is on the third floor in a finished attic, a space that definitely has some
built in character, again not all character I would build into my dream space, but some details that I could work with. Some spaces require you being creative in adding character, and then some have so much you have to figure out how to make it all work.
...and excuse the plastic on the windows...those windows are cute but drafty :)

I am not an expert...I would say "projects" are a hobby that I enjoy when I have time to pursue them. I enjoy browsing websites, magazines and watching the occasional late night HGTV show, mostly to collect ideas for that eventual dream house, but after taking a peek I've noticed a few key elements that seem to be a common thread in creating a cozy bedroom. So here it goes...

1. EMBRACE MINIMALISM- this may seem hypocritical when you see some of my pictures...because my bedroom is quite full. But in general, free it of clutter, not just the floor, but the walls too. Choose one or two pieces of art and apply a "less" is more approach to furnishing also. Bigger rooms can handle larger scale furniture, but if you have a small space, scaling down the size and pieces of furniture will make the room seem larger.
the space under your bed can be great for storage. in  this case
with this bed frame the area is exposed, so i used
cute boxes, etc.


2. PLUSHNESS PLUNGE- plush bedding is key. There is nothing better than sinking into a cozy, comfortable bed. Spring and summer are great times to purchase down comforters and feather beds on sale. I personally like to mix and match bedding as well and am a big fan of pillows, even if you do have to move them at night (I know most guys don't understand this, but they'll get over it). If you purchase a comforter that you can cover with a duvet, you can change the duvet to give it a different look very easily.

3. NOTEWORTHY NIGHT STAND- having a place to rest your glass of water or favorite book is key to your overall comfort and relaxation. There's a plethora of items you could actually use to create a night stand...actual nightstands (could refurbish one with a coat of paint), stools, old chest, vintage suitcases stacked, small chest of drawers, etc.

4. LET THERE BE LIGHT- natural sunlight is amazing during the day, but dimmed mood lighting is essential at night. You could replace your switch with a dimmer, or using lamps is also a great way to add subtle light at night.
this lamp was cute...but by adding a few buttons
now it's "me" :)


5. SCENT-SATIONAL- candles add a warm glow and pleasant scent. You could also use linen sprays (lavender is a great choice) to keep sheets fresh.


6. TAKE A SEAT- if you have the space, having a small side chair, a bench or ottoman is convenient when putting on socks and shoes etc. If there is room, creating a sitting area for reading, relaxing (downside...a place to throw clothes) can be a nice addition to a bedroom.

7. USE ACCESSORIES THAT TELL A STORY- personalize your space with "baubles", but not junk (in my mind there is a difference :), that personalize the room to you and your personality. Look for lamps, vases, books, pictures frames etc. that add some fun.

8. WARM UP THE HARDWOOD- if you have hardwood floors, rugs are essential in a bedroom. As you can see I've used a variety of different rugs and carpets, which help to divide the room considering it is used as a "closet" as well, plus it keeps your toes from freezing especially in the winter months :)
china closet turned armoire

sewing storage turned into accessory storage!
9. TID-BITS- you can totally change and update the look of a dresser by painting it or by simply changing the hardware. Get creative with how you use your furniture. I have a china closet that was given to me that was meant to hold dishes, but instead for now it hold clothes and jewelry :) I also found an old piece that I believe was used for storing sewing supplies, but I "reinvented" it and now use it to store jewelry and clutches.

10. ENJOY- whether you like the more matchy- match approach or the random eclectic style...there are truly simple fixes/touches you can add to your space to make it cozy and a place to actually relax and enjoy.
i love perfume...and i equally love the bottles!

2 comments: