get carey-ed away

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Ode to the Fair...

It's fall...you know how I know?  The Lampeter Fair was held this week.  Honestly,  I have not visited the fair for years, but now living just a few miles down the road on "the" Lampeter Road itself, I thought it was only appropriate as a full fledged Lampeter "local" to support the cause and take a trip down memory lane all at the same time. 

The picture at the top I actually took for the
school newspaper, at the New Holland Fair :) and
that's me in the middle...in my high waisted trousers :)

The fair was always a highlight of our return to high school in the fall.  You bundled up in your well planned outfit that you had thought through during 7th period study hall, and as a freshman had your mom drop you off, or as a senior tried to snag a ride with the boy that had your heart a fluttering. You went to see your friends, period. Not the cows, not the tractors, not the fair queens...well and maybe to eat a funnel cake or two (after hockey practice or a cross country race you could handle such a high caloric intake) Sometimes you even ran into a teacher who you only casually acknowledged because you weren't even sure it was them considering they were in jeans a sweatshirt and not standing behind an overhead projector reviewing Geometry quiz answers. 

Remember how I mentioned hockey practice? 
That's me #21...
I chuckled as I thought about how so many things were the same and yet everything was different. 15 years later, I parked my own car, that I drove by myself and over donated for parking because the lady was either lying or brilliant in saying she didn't have change for a twenty.  I hadn't spent more than about 5 minutes deciding what to throw on, and who was I kidding as a gal that's 17 weeks pregnant my main goal was to get my hands on a bowl of chicken corn soup and a chocolate milkshake, and so I  made my way through mushy fields towards the bright lights and the familiar fair smells of funnel cakes and pig stalls.    
My BFF from the past that I ran into...well that's her
and I shaving our legs together :)


I knew the fair would not be without familiar faces, some from the past, some from the present and 5 minutes upon my arrival I ran into the gal I sat beside for both years of homeroom in middle school.  We didn't exchange news about what was happening in sections G-71 or B-74...but I commented on her kids and she asked as everyone does how growing a human was going.  And of course after honestly telling her I had felt perfect since the get go...I got the common response of any woman that has ever experienced perpetual nausea during their pregnancy..."I hate you"...I mean she tagged on "just sayin" afterwards...but we all know that's just code for "I know I shouldn't be saying this right now, but it's how I really feel, but if I say just sayin it makes it seem more kosher".  I understood of course, it hadn't been the first time I had felt the "hate" after sharing my pleasant experience thus far.  The blast from the past continued when I saw my BFF from middle school searching for a place to sit to feed her army of children (4 with one on a way to be exact) You go girl!  It was was one of the first times I did that thing where you try to explain to the "kids" how you knew each other when we were "their age".  Of course they are clueless and could care less...but it just feels as though it's something you must explain. Eventually her parents arrived as well, which only added to the hugs and reminiscing.  Later I bumped into faces from the present, Robin and Ginny...the gals from my hair salon, and then my pastor and his wife who were once students in the same hallways as me back in those high school days.  I never dreamed, and I'm sure they didn't either at the time, that I'd be seeing them on Sunday at church as a member of their congregation...haha! 

 Although the food concessions looked more like a mosh pit than a food line I knew the homemade soup and milkshake would be worth the wait, but it's not an easy task to eat soup and hold a milkshake all while standing so I politely smiled at a very large, unhappy looking older woman that seemed very content to have the bench all to herself, in hopes she would let me squeeze a cheek beside her. And truth be told, one cheek is about all I managed to get on with the space she so kindly made for me. But it was a place to sit and as I proceeded to burn my tongue on the soup I sat back and watched.  Yep, things change, and then in some ways they will always be the same...

Groups of boys gathered while 2 or 3 girls approached just praying they would give them the time of day...this is one of those things that will never change.  Boys that age...they try to act like the are more into their friends...all the while hoping their Justin Beiber do and their Abercrombie gear is looking fly, although it was feathered hair and rolled jeans back about 15 years ago.  Of course then there are the high schoolers who are now officially "going out"...at least until homecoming is over and are sucking face around the corner of the produce tent (true story...I happened upon one of these last night)  And at the fair you of course have the plethora of adults...the mom sportin' the nine west heeled boots that are sinking further every second, her flowered headband and plaid poncho...all while pushing her daughter her all time best "accessory" in a matching outfit... to the other gal also pushing a stroller but wearing a belly shirt, jeans and smoking a cigarette. You then see  the cool dads that are sporting Abercrombie too and looking for their mini-me's and the ones that broke out their old FFA jacket and over sized belt buckle in support of their 3 year old that had entered the tractor racing contest. 
My senior picture, circa 1996

But because I wasn't going to a party later, or spending the night at a friends...I decided by 8:00 to call it a night and head home, not without a flood of good memories, good food, and just a good feeling that every phase of life is precious.  As I exited through the last tent I was approached by a vendor. It topped off the entire night.  She asked, "Do you still live at home...or do you happen to pay an electric bill?"  I started laughing...and she looked a little perplexed. I didn't' bother to explain my chuckles, I just gave her the answer she was looking for, "Yes".  I don't know that I'll use her electric "dealeo"...but I certainly will take her question as a compliment. Nope, I'm not a student living at home. I'm a pregnant 33 year old lady that married one of the boys I followed at the fair 15 years ago and just managed to look a little younger after slathering my $200 face cream on before arriving and wearing a baseball cap that night. 

Only in Lancaster County. Only during fair season...yep, it's officially FALL :)



...and 15 years later...a few more lines...but a lot more wise :)

2 comments:

  1. U said about squeezing in next to an old lacy in a bench n then said some things change n some remain the same.... We didn't notice the 33 year olds reminiscing when we were teens at the fair the same way the teens didn't notice you reminiscing at the fair. While certain pieces of this blog seem judgmental, ie; the girl pushing a stroller in a belly shirt and jeans smoking a cigarette, I font take offense. But just think, while u are happily married, pregnant and financially set for life with the boy you followed at the fair, u got lucky!! Some of us also ended up with the bot we followed at the fair, but instead of happiness n stability have children and hardships and struggles and some with bruises both physical and emotional and mental. God has blessed u Carey and regardless of the hardships ppl like me go thru day to Fay, I'm blessed too just in different ways. And maybe I misinterpret ur blog bur please don't ever forget those who share ur feelings of sentiment and love for the past but haven't been so blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason, I had trouble posting a comments, and that's why this is showing up as Anon..but it is me Carey :)Not sure if you know me personally or if you just happened to come across my blog, but I wanted to respond and thank you for sharing your thoughts. I know that when I "blog" I'm putting my thoughts out there for the world and in return people have the opportunity to respond. Let me start my saying that my blogging has NO AGENDA...because I enjoy writing, it's just a lighthearted way for me to record my experiences, a way to capture life if you will... and of course if someone happens to enjoy reading than great. I had no intentions of being rude, unthoughtful or judgemental. I am far from perfect, that's for sure, but I do make an strong effort to do just the opposite, because I love life and all the people in it! I am blessed, but surely my life is not perfect either. I am happy, and it took me some time to learn this lesson, but it's because I've learned to look past the imperfect and be thankful...which in turn makes life a lot more happy. I know that everyone has struggles, and some have faced more than others...but I know that the Lord has provision for every hardship or difficulty for ALL of us. Surely, lucky has nothing to do with my life. Again, even among all the mistakes I've made, I've managed to make some good decisions too and that coupled with the Lord's great grace and blessing...well as I said, I do feel blessed...just as you mentioned that you are. Thanks again for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete